Thank you. This is what we are talking about. Our concerns are real. Valid. And out treatment is damaging lives. Sometimes to the point we feel we have no options left. Thank you.
Originally posted on the inadvertent feminist:
This town to which I recently returned, the shithole where I spent the first twenty-five years of my life, is a hotbed of ignorance and bigotry. I know, I know, I live in the south, blahblahwhatever. Even compared to the rest of the state, this town is about as bass-ackwards as you can get. Just a few current county demographics to help you out, and some anecdotal stuff from my younger years:
- 92.8% white
- per capita income: $16,109
- 8 public elementary schools, 2 public middle schools, 1 high school, yet…
- FOUR private christian schools, all administered by baptist churches
- Completely dry county until 1984, when wine, beer, and liquor sales were finally allowed. “Liquor by the drink,” and beer/wine served in restaurants were not voted in until 2008.
- City water wasn’t flouridated until 2004.
- The book, “A Separate Peace” was challenged in a school board meeting, here, in 1996. (I…
View original 2,972 more words